Thursday 24 July 2014

Origin by Jennifer L. Armentrout

★★★★☆
Enjoyable and Adorable
Origin is the 4th book in the Lux series, which starts with Obsidian and will end with Opposition, due out this August.

As this book is part of a series, I will keep the review (fairly)  short and non-spoilery - even if you haven't read Obsidian you won't be spoiled.

I'll first say that the Lux series as a whole is a very fun and entertaining paranormal romance which will keep you coming back for more.  Obsidian follows Katy, a girl who moves to a small town with her mum, and her new life there - which happens to involve her alien neighbours.  Yup, you read that right.  As long as you don't take the books too seriously, I guarantee that you will enjoy them.  They start off pretty lighthearted but as the series goes on it gets a little more serious without losing the humour element.  So, if you haven't started this series yet, I highly recommend that you do!

Origin itself started off a little slow for me, and I definitely enjoyed the second half a lot more.  The action scenes were probably my favourites, but I did enjoy the romance of it as well.  Admittedly, Origin was a little predictable.  Was this due to me reading the blurb even though I knew from the previous books that the blurbs always give away half the story?  Uh, most likely...  Did it take away from my enjoyment? Absolutely not!  I still felt the expected emotions at the plot twists and damn, were they strong emotions.  But seriously, if you haven't read these books, don't read the blurbs!  I have grown quite attached to the characters - this is the fourth book, after all - but I feel like a couple of my favourites weren't as present in this book as I would have liked them to be, as the focus was on the main two characters.  I can understand why this was the case, and I'm hoping it'll be different in Opposition.

Another thing I had a problem with was the dual perspective.  After reading only from Katy's perspective in the preceding novels, it was a bit strange to suddenly have another point of view and I kept forgetting which character was speaking.  Fortunately, the different point of views changed fairly often so I never got sick of either one.

As I mentioned before, the action scenes were my favourite.  I really got sucked into them and forgot that I had an actual life outside of this story :P  There were also some incredibly adorable moments in this book that had me grinning from ear to ear.  I loved the jokes and realistic voices of the characters.


If you're looking for a story with a good mix of funny, paranormal, romance and also serious elements, look no further than this series!

2 comments:

  1. I can't wait for opposition !!! XD

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me neither!!! It's going to be so exciting :)

      Delete

Related Posts
Back to Top