Wednesday 1 October 2014

Books That Were Difficult For Me To Read - Top Ten Tuesday


Top Ten Tuesday is hosted by The Broke and the Bookish, as I'm sure you all know, and this weeks topic is Books That Were Difficult to Read - for any reason.
This list was a little difficult to come up with, but I did it!
This was meant to go up yesterday, but the power went out for about 6 hours, so you can see why that was a problem.






1.  The Knife of Never Letting Go by Patrick Ness
Like a few of these other books I'm going to mention, I've discussed this before.  I think this was one of the first disturbing books (to me) that I read, where I was really freaked out.  Something just didn't feel right.  I think it was the suspense of waiting for Todd to find out the 'big secret'.  I also didn't really like Todd.  Sorry.

2.  The DUFF by Kody Keplinger
This was difficult for me to read because I didn't like it.  I also didn't finish it.  Bianca got on my nerves because what she did didn't make any sense to me.

3.  Girl Parts by John M. Cusick
I don't know what I was expecting, with a title like that, but I guess I was mislead by the pink cover.  Again, I didn't finish this book, and it makes me really angry so I will talk about it no longer.

4.  Allegiant by Veronica Roth
This book was difficult for slightly different reasons.  Firstly, it was tough because I wasn't quite ready in my heart for the Divergent trilogy to be over (still not, *sob*) and secondly, because I was expecting it to be a lot more fast-paced.

5.  Half Blood by Jennifer L. Armentrout
The problem here was my constant comparisons to Vampire Academy (which I didn't like too much anyway) and Obsidian.  I much preferred Obsidian to Half Blood and I honestly didn't connect with the main character at all.

6.  Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix
I guess this is cheating, because I didn't have trouble reading this the first time around.  It's just now that I know what's going to happen, I get to a certain point and can't continue.  I will even stop a reread of the series when I get near this spot.  Highlight for spoiler: [Sirius was one of my favourite characters of all time and it was all the more depressing because of Harry's attachment to him and how they were going to live together and oh my gosh it was just awful.]






7.  Lord of the Flies by William Golding
This book was so dark and gruesome and I just did not enjoy it.  I couldn't relate to any of the characters, and sure, I felt bad for them, but they (mostly) weren't very nice.  I think the narration was what put me off the most.  I also didn't finish this book.

8.  Cloudstreet by Tim Winton
Did not like this book.  It was very boring, and I didn't like a single one of the (very many) characters.  It droned on about nothing for more than 400 pages.  But I had to read it for school this year.

9.  Wake by Amanda Hocking
I just didn't like this book as much as I was expecting to and ending up skimming the second half of the book.

10.  The Assassin's Blade by Sarah J. Maas
This was only difficult because I knew what was going to happen in the end and if you've read Throne of Glass you will understand.


So that was my top ten this week :)

6 comments:

  1. Awesome choices, Sabrina! The Knife of Never Letting Go was mostly hard for me to read because of the writing. I know that the poor grammar and spelling are on purpose, but it was a chore to get through, even though the story was intriguing.
    That part in book 5 of Harry Potter is really hard for me too. It was just so sudden, and... ugh </3 I still keep going when I reread the HP series (which I do unhealthily often), but it's tough every time.
    I'll also have to agree with you on Wake. The main character annoyed me, and the plot just wasn't what I expected it to be. And the romance, in my opinion, was just not well-written.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks :P
      Yeah the writing was a bit of an issue for me at the start, but I got used to it.
      Very sudden :( And the way that it came about too. Yeah, I usually do too. It depends on if I'm having a good week or not whether I can get myself through the sad books xD
      I'm glad someone agrees with me! I like the points you've made. I was completely unsold on the romance.

      Delete
  2. I love The Knife of Never Letting Go but it took some time for me to get into the style. I have Wake on shelf so that's too bad to hear about it. Interesting choices!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lot's of people do love it, so I'm not surprised :) I might just not have been in the mood for Wake, who knows - a lot of my Goodreads friends actually liked it, so you might too!

      Delete
  3. Interesting choices! I loved the Duff but I understand why Bianca can be annoying to others. I really want to read The Knife of Never Letting Go though.

    Noelia @ http://adayinbookland.blogspot.com.es/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. I have honestly not come across many people who didn't love it! That's why I was so shocked when I finally picked it up that I was not enjoying it. I would definitely recommend The Knife of Never Letting Go! It just wasn't for me.

      Delete

Related Posts
Back to Top