Tuesday 24 March 2015

Top Ten Childhood Books


Top Ten Tuesday is hosted by The Broke and the Bookish.  This week's top ten is books from childhood you would love to revisit.  This is going to be a fairly easy top ten for me, since I read quite a bit as a child and I can name ten favourites off the top of my head.  I own a lot of these books, and even have a shelf on Goodreads dedicated to a fair few of them.  A lot of them are series, so I'm just going to stick with either the first book in the series, or the most memorable of the bunch.  Here we go!







1.  Trixie Belden
This series was introduced to me by my mum.  It follows Trixie and the friends she makes throughout the series on mystery-solving adventures.  The series is over 30 books long, and I never quite finished it.  I didn't read the last book because I didn't want it to be over!  Every book was so exciting and there wasn't a single character I didn't love!

2.  The Sisters Grimm by Michael Buckley
This series is a great cause of pain for me.  I first got into the series about two sisters who discover a town of fairytale creatures (think Once Upon a Time) when I was in late primary school.  The problem?  The series is nine books long.  I kept up with the series until 2010.  With a book or two released each year, it wasn't too hard to remember what was going on.  Then there was an approximately two year wait for the final book of the series.  I'd grown up a lot in that time, and when I tried restarting, I struggled to relate to the characters who hadn't aged a bit over the series.  My interest fizzled out.  I feel mad that I was so invested in this series but never finished the final book!  I never got to find out what happened!  I have been fooling myself for a couple years now that I am "currently rereading" the series - ie. I have a bookmark stuck halfway through the second book.

*sigh*


3.  Clarice Bean by Lauren Child
Clarice Bean is the funniest literary kid that I know.  The books follow her in her everyday life with her extraordinarily realistic family, making me laugh and even cry.  I'd love to go back to these books one day.

4.  The Mermaid Secret by Vicki Blum
To be honest, I don't remember that much about this book except that I compulsively reread it over and over (which makes it more surprising that I don't remember much...) and that it's about some girls who find out they are mermaids.  At a mere 104 pages (with large type and several pictures), I have no excuse not to revisit this.





5.  Girl Undercover - Secrets by Christine Harris
A book about an orphan girl turned spy - another riveting read for little me.  I can't remember if I ever finished the series, but I know I only own the first book.  I do remember a fair bit about the plot of that one though, so that's one point to my memory!

6.  The Tail of Emily Windsnap by Liz Kessler
This book is about a girl who finds out she is a mermaid.

7.  Ingo by Helen Dunmore
This is also a book about a girl who finds out she is a mermaid.

8.  Once There Were Mermaids
This girl did not find out she was a mermaid.  I was slightly disappointed, but it was an adorable story overall.



9.  W.I.T.C.H by Elizabeth Lenhard (mostly)
This was another super long series that I never finished.  I wonder if it ever ended...
I think it was based off a TV show?  It follows a few girls who get some elemental powers one day for some reason and there's this whole other fantasy world outside their own.  I think there are some random portals to it spread throughout Earth.  Anyway, it was intriguing if a little complicated, so I'd love to read them again and remember what actually happened.

10.  Lucky Star by Cathy Cassidy
I discovered Cathy Cassidy a bit later than I would have liked in my life.  I have adored every book I have read by her though; Lucky Star and Driftwood being the most memorable ones.  Rereading them would be a treat.


So that's this week's top ten!  I get a sense that I have mentioned about half of these before... in a tag perhaps?  As usual, be sure to link to your top ten in the comments!

13 comments:

  1. I haven't read any of these books They do look so cute though! My TTT.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I read Lauren Child books to my niece and nephew! They're addicted to Charlie & Lola, but hopefully I'll get them into the rest of her books soon. ;-) OH YAY FOR TRIXIE BELDEN. That nearly went on my list, but I just ran out of room. I still have some of them, maybe 10? I didn't read very many but I always liked them. My "Mystery" obsession was the Boxcar Children. hee.
    Here's my TTT!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha I remember watching that show on TV! Must admit I was a little old for it, but I enjoyed it nonetheless. You're the first person I've come across who knows Trixie Belden at all!
      Thanks for stopping by :) :)

      Delete
  3. Oh my goodness! W.I.T.C.H!!!!!! I didn't finish that series either because as you said, I don't even know if it ended but I was so obsessed with it while reading it. Not only me, but my best-friends back on school. We spent all our spare time talking about it hahaha
    I don't know about the other series you've mentioned but I understand your feelings towards The Sisters Grimm. I looks like a nice middle-grade series though ^^

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll have to look into it! I'm so happy to hear someone else loved this series as much as I did! My friends, unfortunately, were all more into horses than witches.
      It is a nice series, and once I can put aside my old anger I'm sure I'll get to finishing it.

      Delete
  4. I was Obsessed with The Tale of Emily Windsnap! I can't believe I forgot about this book. Lol great list

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just started the Sisters Grimm series not too long ago and I would love to continue it.

    Check out my TTT.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I haven't read any of these books. They look cute though! :-) thanks for stopping by my blog!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I haven't read any of these, but I really wish I had :-( they sound wonderful!...Never too late though, I guess! ;-)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts
Back to Top